Good Monday morning friends!
It’s the first Monday of Lent. How are your Lenten practices going? I am hoping and praying for mercy and grace to lead you along the way this season.
I have three things to share with you today.
First, today’s weekly post is about emotional intelligence. Certainly I have known pastors and ministers who don’t rank very high on their emotional intelligence quotient or EQ. Have you had that experience? In pastors, the effects of lack in emotional intelligence can be missed opportunities, ineffective leadership, or a lackluster pastoral care.
Yet in my observation effective and compassionate ministry is most often marked by significant emotional intelligence.
Emotional intelligence might seem like something you are born with or acquire by absorbing the capacity from your family of origin. Fortunately, some of the skills and perception of emotional intelligence can be learned even late in life. I have witnessed such transformations in adults. And what exactly makes up one’s emotional intelligence? There are lots of academic and popular accounts of what is included in an emotional intelligence quotient EQ. Here is my quick summary of some key features:
- Being able to recognize and identify emotions in your own body and mind and discern what information they are giving you;
- Being able to observe and honor the full range of emotions and not be overcome or paralyzed by them;
- Recognizing complex and sometimes rapidly changing emotions in others without flipping your lid or running away;
- Knowing how to respond to the emotional tone and communication of others through mirroring and empathy.
- Utilizing emotion for motivation and self-regulation in work, family and friendship.
Today’s 3MMM episode number 15 is about emotional intelligence. Rather than telling ministry story, today I am sharing the story of Bing Bong, Joy and Sadness as they play out an important scene (watch the movie clip here) of the story inside Riley’s mind and brain in the Oscar-winning movie Inside Out.
Speaking of the movie Inside Out, it is one of the resources we are featuring this week! During the month of March everyone who is signed up for 3MMM (if you get the weekly email, you are already entered!) will be entered in a drawing for your own DVD of the movie or one of the other great resources!
The third thing I want to tell you about is that the first episode of the 3MMM is ready for listening as a podcast. You can tune in, listen, and subscribe today!
Love podcasts? You can find the 3MMM podcast at all the usual places!
Missing an episode of 3MMM, you can find them all here!